Friday, October 15, 2010

CNN's Lame Poll

I was really shocked last week when a poll came out from CNN/Time that showed Roy Blunt leading Robin Carnahan by 13 points. Naturally, all the state Republicans were proclaiming that the race was over (but even they clearly didn't believe it, since they continued attacking Carnahan). I've been wondering why this poll would be sooo much worse than any others I had seen (even the Republican-leaning Rasmussen). Well, I after discussing it with some friends, I finally looked at the internals of the poll, and I found a couple amazing gaps.

First of all, they listed N/A for "non-white" respondents:

They also listed N/A for the 18-34 age group:


In other words, the poll was completely missing two major demographics that would be far more likely to vote for Carnahan. And since from what I hear Robin kicked some serious butt in the debate today, this just might be an interesting race yet!

And while we're on the subject, put me in the Rachel Maddow camp of saying we should be talking about Roy Blunt's support from the foreign-funded, pro-outsourcing U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Karl Rove's secretive Crossroads group all day long:

1 comment:

  1. Clearly its a case where the media is deciding the race for Blunt before its over. I've read a few books about this kind of election advertising including 2 by Chomsky, long before Fox News started doing it 24/7. There's probably some big murky telecom bill conspiracy reason behind the unofficial endorsement of Blunt. It may only become apparent 18 months after the election. Like the chamber & Karl Rove, cable news is unabashed.

    ReplyDelete