Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Special Thanks To The People Who Win Elections

Last night was brutal for Democrats, but it could have been much worse here in St. Louis. Congressman Carnahan won. Charlie Dooley won. Prop B won. A strong message was sent in St. Louis that Proposition A will be crushed in April. All of these are great news, especially when considered against the alternatives.

So in light of these victories, I hope everyone can take a moment to thank the people who make the real difference in elections. The people who tirelessly made phone calls, who knocked on doors, who drove people to the polls, who stood out in the cold reminding folks to vote, who attended crucial rallies. I'd also like to thank the great staff for these efforts, who I know were working their butts off seven days a week for many months in each case to eek out victories.

I spend a lot of time sharing information and having discussions online. But I know that what really wins elections is the Get Out The Vote Effort. For those who fight the good fight on the ground, thank you so much. And for the rest of us, let's keep in mind the people who do the real work providing a buffer against insanity.

3 comments:

  1. Really I felt worse in 2004 when I couldn't believe we actually elected Bush. While I don't agree with the 2010 results, I can see why people voted the way the did this year. I don't know if I agree with your insanity comment. Sure Angle and ODonell lost, but we lost many good public servants who worked with Dems and Republicans. People were angry and just wanted something new. I feel like America just dumped their smart long time girlfriend who loved them for the skanky new transfer student.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your hard work! Your blog kept me inspired to show up for that phone canvassing shift, when a walk through the park in the sunshine would have been preferred.

    Let's keep working and making St. Louis a great place!

    ReplyDelete