Thursday, June 16, 2011

Steelman Undermines GOP Medicare Plan But Doesn't Want to Admit It

Yesterday, Sarah Steelman put out a video criticizing the Medicare privatization plan being pushed by Paul Ryan and pretty much every member of the Republican Party. However, despite the fact that she's opposed to a key provision in the plan, she's trying to pretend like she's not undermining the Republican Party. From Fired Up Missouri:
After criticizing the core component of the plan to eliminate Medicare as we know it put forward by Rep. Paul Ryan, Todd Akin and supported by the full GOP delegation in Washington, Sarah Steelman says it's not right to say she opposes or supports the plan.
I don't think it's an either/or question on the Ryan Plan. I think those people in Washington, both Republicans and Democrats, say ‘Oh you gotta take a position on this.’ Well, there's some things I like about it, there's some things I don't like about it. I'm still working through it and looking at it and as an economist, I'm going to make my own conclusions about it."
I guess Steelman doesn't want to be one of those legislators who has to say "aye" or "nay" about complex issues that don't have perfect solutions that everyone agrees on.

No comments:

Post a Comment