Thursday, February 3, 2011

Confirmation About Fake Coffee Party Account

I wrote earlier about an obviously fake St. Louis Coffee Party Twitter account set up apparently to smear me and the coffee party. The person running the account doesn't seem to be very bright, since even after being busted he continues to try to fool people. Anyway, I confirmed with the real St. Louis Coffee Party today that the account is indeed a fake:

These are not the only Twitter shenanigans going on either. Someone set up a @fakejakewagman account and the only two people it is following are myself and Tony Wyche. I don't know anything about it and I DM'd Tony Wyche about it and he didn't know anything about it either. However, since we're the only two people being followed, it makes us look like we had something to do with it. I can't see any of the @fakejakewagman tweets since the account is locked, so I really have no sense of what the motivation is for it. That account, though, is at least a parody with the word "fake" in its title: the account pretending to be the Coffee Party appears to be a clear violation of Twitter rules, and possibly the law.

1 comment:

  1. To be clear, it's absolutely acceptable to write a fake account if you're transparently writing a parody. The handle should include the word fake or something like that to make it obvious. And the fact that whoever created the fakejakewagman account is following you probably just means that they want to pick up followers quicker.

    ReplyDelete